It’s no secret that casinos have the edge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t win. I’ve prepared 4 tricks that you can use regarding online casinos and 7 tips for picking games. Learn to play smart and maximize your winning chances.
I’ve been around casinos for years, and I couldn’t help but notice the same pattern. Every time you’d go to read casino reviews, you’d see people complaining that they games are rigged or that the casino scammed them.
This is a common misconception, so let’s debunk it. Losing is part of the package – especially when the casino has the advantage. But if you play your cards right, you might get lucky. And I’m not referring to table games only.
Let me show you the best 12 tips on how to win at a casino.
4 Online Casino Gambling Tips That Work
I’ve already written several online casinos and sweepstakes guides that you might find helpful, but I’ll now focus on 4 specific casino tips and strategies that can help you win.
#1. Pick Sweepstakes Over Online Casinos
If you’re thinking this doesn’t make sense because you’re looking forward to winning real money, let me explain. Online sweepstakes sites do let you win real money, and they have some hidden advantages over online casinos you might not be aware of. These are some of the reasons why I prefer playing at sweepstakes casinos:
- ✅ I have a no deposit bonus guaranteed, and the wagering requirements are just 1x! Compared to online casinos, it’s pretty hard to get across a no deposit, and they all have wagering requirements of 30x or more.
- ✅ I can access them no matter where in the States I am. Okay, there are a few exceptions, but hear me out. Online casinos are only legal in 6 states, whereas sweepstakes are only illegal in 3 states. So if you’re outside of Washington, Michigan, or Idaho, you’re good to go!
- ✅ The games are just as good. This wasn’t the case a year back, but now, the top sweepstakes have plenty of slots, Megawyas, fish games, progressive jackpots, and whatnot. In fact, you can even find live dealers at Stake.us and High 5 Casino.
- ✅ I can win real prizes and redeem them for as low as $25. There are not as many payment methods available, but credit/debit cards and PayPal are almost always supported. Honestly, I even enjoy redeeming gift cards.
- ✅ I can play with crypto! That’s right, sweepstakes sites like Stake.us allow you to use Bitcoin and Ethereum, among other currencies, to purchase packages! You get a bundle of Sweeps Coins and play to win real money prizes.
- ✅ For sweepstakes casinos to operate legally, they must provide a free alternate method of entry. This is usually in the form of a mail-in bonus. Essentially you send the sweepstakes casino a handwritten letter requesting sweeps coins (virtual currency used to play casino-style games that can be exchanged for cash prizes), and they will credit your account with free sweeps coins. As long as you comply with the letter formatting requirements, you can claim this bonus an unlimited number of times. This bonus doesn’t exist at traditional online casinos.
#2. Selecting the Right Online Casino
If I didn’t manage to convince you to go for sweepstakes, that’s fine. I can help you find the right real money online casino. First, to ensure that your personal information is protected, your funds are safeguarded, and your winnings are legit, you should only play at legal and licensed online casinos. But there are plenty more things you should pay attention to. This is the full list:
- Ensure the online casino is properly licensed. NJDGE, PGCB, or any other proper state license will do. Remember, online casinos are legal only in MI, NJ, PA, WV, CT, and DE.
- Check the game developers. Looking for reputable software providers is the only way to quality games. NetEnt, Games Global, Playtech, Pragmatic Play, Evolution Gaming, and many others should be available.
- Slot games, table games, live dealers, specialties, bingo rooms, scratch cards, instant games – it’s all part of the package. But some have more, some have less, and some have none. Before you register an account, check whether you can play your favorite games. I always prefer casinos with advanced game filtering systems.
- Inspect the payment methods available and see if any fit your needs. I usually use PayPal, as it’s usually flexible with min/max deposit limits, there are no fees, and the withdrawals are super fast.
- If you want to play with bonus funds, make sure you understand the terms. A bonus with high wagering requirements is worse than no bonus at all. I’ll elaborate on this in the following heading.
#3. Go for the Bonuses, or Maybe Not? (Always Consider the Rules)
If you’re considering a sweepstakes bonus, go for it! There are no hidden tricks there, not usually. On the other hand, casino bonuses can be the fastest way to reduce the casino’s house edge. However, this isn’t always the case, and the key lies in the bonus terms and conditions. Bonuses cost casino money, and based on their calculations, they determine they are worth it as they encourage new players to sign up and existing players to keep gambling.
This is what I pay attention to for each bonus:
- Free spins – I’d only claim these if the WR are lower than 15x and if they are not tied to games I don’t intend on playing.
- Bonus cash – If it’s a first deposit welcome bonus, I wouldn’t go for the full sum. Even if the casino matches up to $2,000, just think about the playthroughs.
- Cashback – Get a percentage of your losses refunded only if you actually planned on playing those games. For instance, if it’s a live dealer cashback, and you want to play slots, there’s no point in opting in for the sake of the bonus.
Overall, before you claim any bonus, read the terms and conditions. Pay special attention to wagering requirements, but also expiration dates, and game restrictions. If you can find bonuses with low wagering requirements (sub 25x) that let you play high RTP games, then they are worth claiming.
#4. Never Chase Losses
In gambling, there is a psychological condition called tilt, where the player is unable to make rational decisions and, in some cases, even tries to lose more money. Tilt is often triggered by a loss or bad beat and can quickly spiral into a severe bankroll-crushing loss. If you start feeling overwhelmed by negative emotions and nothing is working for you, immediately stop your session before you blow some serious cash!
Don’t add unnecessary stress to your life by betting with cash you can’t afford to lose. What I like to do before I start a session is come up with a number that, if I lose, won’t negatively affect my mood. For example, I usually set my limit at $50. Once I reach that number, I immediately log out.
Too many players bet above their pay grade and end up ruining their day or even week because of a few bad beats. To keep gambling a fun hobby, bet responsibly, play games you enjoy, and don’t worry too much about the result.
7 Tips to Pick a Casino Game
Now that you know the basics, it’s about time you start thinking of games. If you pick the right game, you could go on the run of a lifetime and hit some massive wins. However, if you choose a game that’s not so gracious, you can say sayonara to your bankroll.
Remember this: A massive factor in your ability to win at a casino comes down to game selection. When picking a casino game to play, I consider these factors:
#1. Choose a Category That Suits Your Skills
It makes no sense to play games you absolutely hate just because they offer a slightly lower house edge. Ideally, you can find a game that you enjoy and has a low house edge.
So, if you are more of an introvert and prefer doing your own thing, online slots or video poker games like Jacks or Better are great options. You can go into your own little zone and focus on the game. However, if you are looking for a more social gaming experience, live craps is a more suitable option.
You also need to analyze your betting skills. If you are a savant who loves crunching numbers, try your luck on the poker tables or take on the dealers in a game of blackjack. However, if you would rather save your brain power for other activities, playing something like baccarat or roulette makes sense.
#2. Pick Casino Games Based on the House Edge
While all the games at a casino have a positive house edge, it can vary dramatically between different games. For example, when you use basic strategy while playing blackjack, the house edge is just 0.5%. This means if you make bets totaling $100,000, you are expected to lose just $500; if you are betting $1 per hand, that is a lifetime of play. This is, of course, just in theory.
For me, video poker is a great low-house edge game. You are dealt 5 cards and can then redraw. The goal is to make the strongest poker hand possible, and you win if you make a pair of jacks or better. The strength of your hand determines your payout; a royal flush pays out 800x while a straight flush pays out 50x. When you play optimally, the house edge is 0.46%, slightly lower than blackjack!
Video poker and blackjack both require strategy and can take some time to learn. If you want a low-house edge game where you don’t have to think, try out Baccarat. In this game, you can either bet on your own hand or the banker’s, and whoever gets closest to making 9 wins. All of the drawing decisions are automated, and if you bet on the banker’s hand, the house edge is just 1.06%, which is why this game is so popular with high rollers.
P.S. I don’t even consider playing Keno. This lottery-style game has a house edge ranging from 25% to 30%. Big 6 is another terrible game, with a house edge varying from 11% to 24.07%.
#3. Choose Games With Advanced Features
To keep games fresh, developers have created new versions with advanced features. Sometimes these features give you more ways to win and lower the house edge. Here are some games I find worth checking out:
- ✅ European Roulette – American roulette has two 0s, while European roulette has only one. The result is that American roulette has a house edge of 5.26%, while European roulette has a house edge of just 2.7%
- ✅ Online Slot Machines With Random Multipliers + Free Spins – When playing online slots with random multipliers, any win can be instantly doubled, tripled, or more, and free spins are in-game bonuses where you get free play and don’t risk losing any of your own cash. For example, Fruity Party from Pragmatic Play is a great slot with 256x multipliers and 10 free spins every time you hit 3 or more golden fruit scatters.
- ✅ Blackjack With Surrender – This rule change allows you to give half of your bet after you have seen your two cards and the dealer’s up card. Early surrender allows you to surrender half your bet before the dealer checks for blackjack, and late surrender allows you to surrender your bet after the dealer checks for blackjack. Early surrender reduces the game’s house edge by 0.6%, which means if you play basic strategy, you are the favorite, while late surrender reduces the house’s edge by 0.1%.
- ✅ Roulette With Multipliers – When making straight-up roulette bets, sometimes random multipliers are applied and can be as much as 500x, which leaves the typical payout of 35x in the dust. Quantum Roulette by Playtech is a great example of roulette with multipliers.
#4. Consider the Risk Involved in Each Game
If you want to chase big wins, you need to play highly volatile games with a high max win, such as high-volatility slots and video poker. If you are looking for medium volatility games that still have solid max wins, betting on individual numbers in roulette is a great choice, as the payout is 35x. However, if you are looking for a coin flip, then betting on red or black on roulette, playing a hand of blackjack, or some baccarat is a fantastic option.
A game’s volatility and risk profile influences your bankroll management. The rule is the higher the volatility, the more buy-ins you need. For example, when playing baccarat, you can get away with a small bankroll in comparison to your bet size, but not when playing online slots.
#5. Choose Your Bet Size and Verticals
Sizing your bets is incredibly important. If you bet too big, even a small amount of negative variance can wipe out your bankroll. However, if you bet too small, your wins will be barely noticeable and bring you zero satisfaction.
If you are playing blackjack, have 40x your bet size. So if you have betting $30 per hand, have $1200 ready to use. As slots have a higher house edge, aim to have 400x your average bet size, this bankroll should sustain hours of play and give you a good at walking away a winner.
As a general rule, you should avoid all side bets in table games like blackjack. These side bets have been specifically designed by casinos to get more money from players. Casino executives know that games like blackjack have a low house edge, so they added side bets that have very high house edges. For example, insurance bets have a house edge of over 7%, and the house edge for perfect pairs is as high as 13%.
When playing slots online, you shouldn’t worry about paylines. Instead, just focus on the RTP, as this will reveal the house edge. There are high-paying slots with only a few paylines, like Starmania, and low-paying slots with tons of paylines, like Mega Moolah. Just remember to bet enough to be eligible for jackpots and different bonus features.
#6. Walk Away After Big Wins
Casinos are littered with players who didn’t hit the cash-out button after a big win and lived to regret it! If Lady Luck takes a shine to you and helps you unleash a massive 200x multiplier, you should jump for joy out of your chair and the casino. Big wins don’t come along every day of the week. If you managed to land a juicy payout, pocket the money instantly.
A good little trick is to cash out 90% of your winnings and then use the remaining 10% to fund your gambling sessions. This way, you get to free roll with your winnings, and you limit your losses to a small portion of your big win. However, be careful. You need to resist the temptation to deposit the 90% portion of your winnings if you blow through your bankroll.
#7. Consider Strategies Based on Each Game
Each casino game has unique rules, so it makes sense that they also have unique strategies. Here are some tips and tricks I use when playing common casino online games:
- Blackjack Strategies – You will often hear casino players say blackjack has one of the lowest house edges. This is only true if you play what is known as a basic strategy. Basic strategy reveals what the optimal play is based on your hand and the dealer’s hand. Back in the day, players would memorize what to do in each strategy. Nowadays, you can just input your cards and dealers into a calculator, and it will instantly tell you the right play. When you play basic strategy, the house’s edge is just 0.5%!
- Roulette Strategy – A common roulette strategy is known as martingale. With this strategy, you double each losing bet until you win. For example, let’s say you bet $1 on black and lose, the next round, you bet $2 on black, and you lose again, then you bet $4 on red and finally win, ending up with a $1 profit ($4 winnings – $3 in losses). The martingale can work over the short term.Unfortunately, you will eventually encounter a massive losing streak that will wipe you out. Also, it doesn’t take many losses until you hit the table max bets. For example, a 10-in-a-row losing streak when betting on red or black on roulette will happen around 1 in 600 times.
- Slots Strategy – Online slots are famous for their lack of strategy, but you can still boost your winning odds by ensuring you bet the min to win jackpots and play online slot machines where you can buy bonuses. The latter can significantly boost the games’ RTP but also adds up to the risk factor.
- Video Poker Strategy – Video poker has the lowest house edge of any game if you know what you are doing. Video poker can get pretty complex as you need to know which hands to play and which cards to discard in thousands of different situations. Fortunately, you can enter your cards into a video poker calculator and find out the correct play. Also, remember to bet at least 5 coins every hand so you can win the maximum royal flush jackpot.
Where Do I Play?
I already told you that I prefer sweepstakes over real money casinos for several reasons. So the answer is – I try my luck at my favorite 5 sweepstakes at the moment. If you want to try out the strategies I’ve mentioned, you can join:
The best way to win at the casino with $20 is to claim a deposit match bonus and then use the casino’s funds to play low house edge games like blackjack. If the casino has a low wagering requirement, you can book a profit.
Penny slots are programmed to be random, and there is little to no strategy involved. However, to get the best odds of winning, play 97% + RTP casino slot machines like White Rabbit, find games with lots of bonus features, and ensure you are betting enough to be eligible for features and jackpots.
The day does not influence the odds of you winning at a casino. However, if you visit a casino when it is quiet, for example, on a Tuesday, you are more likely to get better comps such as food, drinks, and cheaper rooms due to the lack of other players.
It is impossible to know when a penny slot machine is going to hit. The outcomes of modern slot machines are completely random and unpredictable, don’t listen to anyone who claims to know when slot machines are going to hit!
You should pick a slot machine based on the game’s Return to Player (RTP) percentage. This indicates how much you can expect to win over the long term. For example, a 98% RTP means that for every $100 you bet, you can expect to receive $98 back. Stick to slots with a 97% + RTP.
To win at the casino with $100, play a $5 hand of baccarat and make a banker bet. If you lose double your previous bet, if you win instantly, quit. This strategy combines a low house edge wager with the martingale betting style.
To win at the casino with little money, take your money over to your favorite low-volatility slots and hope you hit a massive multiplier. The chance of turning a small amount of cash into a big win playing games like blackjack or baccarat is low, instead, hit that spin button and say your prayers!
It is impossible to win at the casino every time you play unless you are cheating, this is because casino games are designed for the house to win over the long term. To boost your odds of winning, play low house edge games like video poker and blackjack, and use bonus codes to your advantage.
The best Reddit casino tip is not to think of gambling as a way to make money. Casinos are specifically designed for players to lose over the long term. Instead, you just treat gambling as a fun hobby, and if you manage to get lucky and win, it is a bonus!